Sunday, February 27, 2011

Click it or Ticket!!

Question... if seat belts are required for people why not dogs? Are we only willing to protect people in cars??


Sorry to all those folks out there who don't want to restrain the their dog but it REALLY should be the law!! Before I get on my soap box I have to admit Aspen was riding around loose in the car for most of his life... whoops!  As a paramedic I know better!!  I know seat belts save lives... I've seen it!! 


In an accident I promise you your dog will fly no different then you would if you weren't restrained.  I'm not saying this to be mean.. I'm saying this to save your dogs or possibly your life... I was watching Judge Alex (Sad I know but cable offers little entertainment...argh!) anyways, the case was about this little white dog that ran out into the street in front a car ( I was like I KNEW IT... see previous post!!).  Lucky for the dog he escaped unharmed.  The driver also had a large boxer in their car.  When they slammed on the breaks the dog launched into the windshield.  Lucky for the boxer he was also uninjured.  The family was suing for the replacement of the windshield.  Which they did get because the owner of the little white dog was not following the leash law... but at the same time what if the boxer had been restrained?  Im in NO WAY trying to defend someone who doesn't have control over their dog but seriously do you really have any control in the car?  


The two main types of restraints are the crate or the Kennel. I also think they have like a booster car seat for smaller dogs. I haven't looked a great deal into the others so I'll leave it up to you to search for options, but for Aspen we chose the Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Dog Harness from REI. Aspen fits into a large.  We have a car so it really was the most economical way to go($30). There is a small loop that attaches the the seat belt, a hook is on the other end and that clips to the harness.  The harness has a padded front to provide protection if we were to have an accident. 


 The harness is so easy to put on... Seconds seriously!!  It goes over the head and has two buckles. A very nice feature for us is that Aspen LOVES to be walked on a harness.  We unclip him from the car loop and onto a leash.. off we go.  Honestly we use it all the time not only for car stuff because it is so functional!! 


So I ask everyone to  PLEASE restrain your dog when riding in your car.  Would you take off with your kids out of a car seat? I hope not.  Treat dogs like the family members that they are :-)


Here is Aspen sporting his new digs!
You can sort of see the construction of the harness here (sorry I'm not the photographer Ray is ugh!!)  the top loop goes over his head then under and two buckles.  Simple  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment