Sunday, March 13, 2011

NEWS: Random post about what's going on here with the Big Paw Berner

I haven't posted anything specifically about Aspen as of late so I thought I would update.  Last weekend we had more tummy trouble and on Sunday night Aspen was NOT himself at all.  Ray and I decided "this is it!!" we are going to take him to the University of Minnesota!  We wanted to get to the bottom of this once and for all.

So lucky for us we got in Tuesday.  Being a paramedic and the fact that I live about 7 miles from the world renowned Mayo clinic I had this expectation for greatness!  I expected a team that would collaborate and figure this out.  That my dog was going to be the focus of some intense medical care. I was sadly disappointed :-(

No super team came in to see Aspen just a 4 year vet student and a resident. I was told management was the best option.  Something I'd been told before by other vets.  Seriously?? This was a very expensive visit to yet again leave without answers. 

On a side bar it reminds me of the time we thought Aspen was bloating.  Last summer Aspen started wretching. I can't think of anything else to describe it other then wretching. He really didn't have any clinical signs of being uncomfortable other then the wretching (violent coughing is maybe more descriptive). He did it maybe 3-4 times intermittently and we were off to the ER.  We called them in rout.  By the time we got there he had stopped. We brought him in and they gave him a can of dog food.  The vet had no idea why he did it.  I had a horrible time writing a $112 dollar check for a can of dog food.. If you can't tell I fall under the category of over protective dog parents apparently!!

Ok sorry back to the U..They did say that they may in fact be able to figure out what is causing Aspen's problems but are unenthusiastic that it would change treatment. For them to biopsy it would require putting him out and I do not feel that would be in his best interest at this point. 

In positive news they did a complete blood cell count and chemistry profile and everything came back great.  He is not losing weight at all. We put him on an antibiotic(Tylosin 625mg x2), Psyllium Fiber (2 table spoons per day), Fish oil, Probios (probiotic x1). That has helped and his tummy trouble has stopped. So we will see.  Our new vet had also suggested synacore digestive support.  She recently went to a conference and it had been suggested.  It has promising research to back it up but it's very new.  I'm going to do some of my own research and see if that is something we want to consider.  That is all the news on Aspen's tummy trouble.

In fun news we just got back from play pals Allignment park.  Aspen had a blast of course running and chasing all the other dogs :-) He also made some attempts at making friends with some non dog club members which is always precious to us!! Sorry about the lack of pictures ... I for got my camera in the car :-(

Stay tunned for more posts regarding Berner Garde-Silvers Oliver twists story, Clicker Training updates, and the big sleep over with Aspen's BFF Titan this weekend. 

Hope everyone had a fantastic weekend... !!

No comments:

Post a Comment