Monday, December 20, 2010

Grooming

Thought I'd share some photos of Aspen since he just got back from the groomer... they managed to fit me in today... Whew!! Warning the photos aren't fantastic but he looks so cute!!  He was in desperate need of a bath and trim.  His last bath was in Oct!!  If I could afford it I'd bring him in every week, but until I win the lotto I'll have to settle for every other month.  He is soft and fluffy... I just love it!!

For any of you prospective berner owners... yes they shed... LOTS!!  They get stinky too and to add on they always want to be on your furniture and lap so it's important to keep them clean.

Today our groom cost $54.00.  It was $42 for the groom then I gave a ten dollar tip. This doesn't include a teeth brushing because I do them at home(once every two months isn't enough dental care).  That would have added an extra $5.  That is such a good rate for a big dog like a Berner!!  I've taken him else where ant it has run to nearly $100 BUCKS!!

Aspen began grooming when we first got him.  We bought the puppy packages that were something like $14.99 each.  This got him use to being groomed and from what they tell me he is a really good boy.  I suggest getting puppies started early because it helps with at home baths too!!  It's easy to make a 30lb puppy take a bath, but when a 93lb dog doesn't want to you have a problem.

 If your looking for a groomer I would suggest that you ask about how they dry the dogs. I do not like the kennel dryers because
1. They Scare him.  They are loud and blow at him.
2. They don't get him dry because he crouches down and only his top gets dry.
3.  Berners are very social dogs and regardless of them tolerating the kennel they would MUCH MUCH rather be with a person.

 Below is the new and improved Aspen.  Some taken with Charlie browns Christmas tree :-)













No comments:

Post a Comment