Sunday, May 29, 2011

Health update

How's Aspen do you ask... he's doing better.  We have not had one incident of tummy trouble since he was started on the Tylan and fiber in the beginning of March.  This is the longest he has ever gone without a problem.  Aspen was labeled by the University of Minnesota as having irritable bowel syndrome(IBS)/Allergies.  I do not agree with that diagnosis because no particular food change has ever caused Aspen trouble.  It was like clock work... few weeks diarrhea and two weeks better.  Although I think they are wrong, it really doesn't matter what it is exactly.  All that matters is that he is feeling better and treatment is working.

In the past month I've been able to reduce his Tylan to about twice a week 1/8 of a teaspoon.  Now I guess we just manage.  We have put him on a grain free food (taste of the wild) and he is receiving probiotics once every morning.  He gets one tablespoon of fish oil with each meal as well.

In addition to digestive problems Aspen is on Dasaquin for his joints.  I have noticed him limping a bit more lately(he did have pano as a puppy).  Mostly after he has been resting?  Which I though was quite strange. We planed on doing OFA x-rays but we wanted to wait until he is two because he would be completely grown.  However, if it keeps bothering him I think I will just go ahead and do them early.  As of late the more I think I knew about berners ... The less I actually know... sigh.  I guess that's life we live and we learn.

Thanks to all who have supported us through all of this.  We really appreciate all your support and advice :-)
 If there would be a competition for who could shake the most Aspen would win paws down.

No comments:

Post a Comment