Sunday, February 12, 2012

epic fail.... but what I would have done today

So that bath I was talking about... it didn't happen today sigh!!  Aspen was probably happy to escape that ordeal, but next weekend he has a date with the tub.  I try to give him a bath at least once a month.  He really isn't too bad right now, but his hair is more fluffy after his bath, which I love so it's on the agenda for next weekend.

**Disclaimer*** I am not an expert groomer.  I use to bring him to the groomer all the time until I saw a certain groomer being rough with a dog.  It wasn't Aspen, but none the less I didn't feel comfortable going there anymore.  My sister had a really bad experience with a groomer so I really don't take risks.

Besides I know if I ever have a show dog, I'll have to become more skilled... Aspen's a good dog to practice with :-)   For those of you that don't have a berner they really aren't too terrible to groom, just lots of under coat to clean up and you need to blow dry them.  Summer baths are usually done outside, which cuts clean up time in half!!

Our essentials include:

1-Pin brush just a nice bush that looks like something you might even use yourself.  I try to use this at least a few times per week if I can.  Aspen has a really nice coat.  It's not that thick thick coat, but more fine and defiantly stays clean with just some regular brushing.

2- I use a rake comb on his tail as that fur is a different texture and the pin brush seems to pull too much.

3- Then I have a nice comb that get the tangles out behind the ears.

4- Sham wows.  I have two of them and they work wonders getting all the water off.  I use them first and finnish up with a normal bath towel.

5- spray bottle.  I had previously to used a shampoo that was highly concentrated.  So I used a spray bottle to administer it and I found it works so well to spread out the shampoo evenly.

6-Shampoo-  The old shampoo I had used was for dogs, cats, and horses?  I chose it because it has some sensitive skin properties but I am going to try pet head that I got at target.  It's still a sensitive skin formula.  Aspen doesn't usually have any skin issues, but I just feel that I would never want to use anything that was hard on his skin. This pet head has all the things that I look for in my own shampoo (but formulated for dogs... don't use people shampoo on dogs). It's parban free and has a not cruelty guarantee etc.  Even though this isn't highly concentrated I will still dilute it in my spray bottle.

7- conditioner- I also dilute the conditioner.  A little goes along way.

8- Hair dryer-  I just use my own personal dryer on a cooler setting :-(  It's on my list to get a better dryer!!

9-Shears and thinning shears-  Mostly used just for the feet and around the ears.  Not too much trimming needs to be done.

10- Nail clippers-I am just terrified to cut his nails... I think I might invest in a dremal incase I ever have to... Does anyone have tips on nail trimming? I haven't had to trim Aspens nails yet ( i assume he had them done in May of last year when he was groomed by someone else)... is that weird? I think he kind of just keeps them filed by running around????  They really aren't long.

Thats it :-)  It takes me about two hours and about 30 minutes to do the cleaning.  A groom can easlily run you $100 bucks (they go off of weight) so it's worth it. You know your dog is treated well and you can save the money for a rainy day.

Oh here is my favorite Adult photo of Mr. Aspen... let me know what you think!! I'm obviously a bit biased ;-)

http://starinphotography.photoshelter.com/portfolio/G0000hMzGPGiBBZ4#I0000zJr5dgHbmN0

This is shortly taken after a bath...

No comments:

Post a Comment